Note: This is the second in a series of occasional blog postings about firearms.
I support and respect gun owners right to own guns.
• I don’t support their right to bring guns into my home.
• Especially when my grandchildren are with me.
I support and respect people who use their guns for hunting, target practice, or a hobby.
• But studies show that only 60% of gun owners practice good gun safety.
• I’m not comfortable with my grandchildren playing with friends in a home without knowing if they are gun owners and practice good gun safety.
I don’t like going into Braum’s or the local movie theater and seeing a gun strapped to the hip of the customer in front of me.
• It doesn’t make me feel any safer.
• In fact, I feel less safe.
I don’t know whether that person:
• Has passed a background check
• Has taken and passed a concealed carry class.
• Is recently under a great deal of mental and emotional stress.
• Has developed symptoms of an active mental illness since passing a background check.
• Is under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or prescriptions that affect cognition.
• Practices good gun safety.
• Is trigger happy and might start shooting someone in the mistaken belief that person is a danger.
We have a well-armed militia to protect us.
• Trained law enforcement officers who have ongoing oversight of their psychological state and weapon competencies.
• That includes local police departments, sheriff offices , state troopers, the army reserves, etc.
I understand that for some people carrying a gun helps them to psychologically feel stronger, tougher, and safer. Just as a cool sports car gives you a rush. Similar to wearing a uniform or other badge of power.
It doesn’t help me to feel safer. It’s scarier than ever to be out in public and in public places.
I believe that every private and public building has a right to post No Guns Allowed signs on their premises.
• Homes, churches, museums, hospitals, schools, restaurants, drug stores, etc.
• That includes Braum’s and the movie theaters.
Our government protects me from second-hand smoke in those venues.
• I want it to protect me against guns and gun violence, too.
• Accidental Firearms Fact Sheet, National Center for Child Death Review